Business Women Network

Monday, May 11, 2009

Social Networking, it's Hot!

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to, cry if I want to, cry if I want to.... Whatever!

Social Networking is so hot right now, it is almost ridiculous. You need to join and frankly host the party. But as we wind our way through the social networking maze, there are some great tips to remember.

#1 Don't over commit.
So, yes, I have joined too many social networks..... so many in fact that I am wasting my time away and not maximizing my business effectively. Pick 5 of your favorite social networks and do just that, network. At Twitter Wahm we have a printable spreadsheet that allows you to write the networks down that you want to keep up with and allot the amount of time (15-30 minutes) you want to schedule towards each network. You don't need to join 25 networks and fail miserably at providing a platform for your business, just pick five and commit to doing a fantastic job at each. Social Networking is a great free tool to get your business out there, but it is not the only tool. There is much more work to be done.

#2 We don't want your business, we want to get to know you.
If you plaster your business all over your tweets and posts, it doesn't really do it for me, but if you make a joke, let me get to know you better, then I am more apt to listen about your business, and better yet, refer it! It doesn't mean you shouldn't always link to your blog or business page, but you do need to talk about something else at the same time. Be personable. Let me in, I will bite.(that is a good thing)

#3 I know you will cry if you want to.....but do you want to?
Stay away from negativity. If we don't know you and don't have the passion or interest in your complaints, we will stop listening. Yes, in politics and celebrity, negativity and rumor sells, but for lasting customer relationships, it doesn't. We have enough on our own plate, why do we want your plate too?

#4 Remember who your friends are.
Just because you said "hi" to someone on a post or tweet doesn't mean they will remember you. Talk with those that reply to you over and over. This is your customer service angle. Just because they aren't a customer yet, they will be your friend. And good friends make great customers. Don't forget, a lot of business is about perception, the more people you talk to and respond to, the more friends and customers you are perceived to have, thus the more successful you look. If they are buying, then why aren't I? I probably should.... I will....give me 5. (See how this works)

Remember to work the network, don't let the network work you. Personalize all of your profiles with links, emails, quotes, anything that allows another person in your network to attach to you.
Go out there and get your network working.

And as always if you would like to comment on this blog or would like to contact me with questions about your business, don't hesitate to email me at info@businesswomennetwork.com.

DON'T FORGET OUR "HOW TO MAKE MONEY ON TWITTER" report.

No comments:

Post a Comment