Business Women Network

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Top Social Media Sites

Ning, Twitter, Blogger, Flckr, Facebook, and the list goes on and on. So, I have my favorites like Twitter, TwitterWahm.com, Facebook. But when listing your business, networking and making friends, what are the Top Ranking sites Obviously some social sites we visit are more because we like the nature and people of the site, rather than their popularity, but in our marketing arsenal we also need to know what sites get the most traffic.

ALEXA.com was my new best friend today as I researched the top social networking sites. While I was there I came across the top 200 most visited sites, in those 200 I found 15 social networking sites (english speaking).

(If you don't know what alexa.com is, it is a ranking website for websites all over the globe and it ranks each sites traffic.) Yes, I was totally intrigued....or bored, I really couldn't tell.

So here are the 15 sites in the top 200:

Youtube.com,
Myspace.com
Facebook.com
Blogger.com
Hi5.com
Photobucket.com
Flickr.com
Friendster.com
Skyrock.com
Perfspot.com
About.com
Bebo.com
Digg.com
Imeem.com
Linkedin.com

Now, we all know how popular Twitter is and with all the press lately, I am sure it will shoot up the list in the next 5 or 6 months.

So I would include Twitter.com a must.

Yes, I know no one would be perfect in implementing all of these social networks, but how about trying one network for each media source. A balanced portfolio for Social Networking would look something like this, Twitter (real time chat/party), Facebook, actual friends and associates, Youtube.com for how to's and webinars (invite friends to view), photobucket.com, post pictures and share with your old and new network, Imeem.com pick and share music, and Blogger.com (every good business and networker needs a blog). To recap, we have chat, video, photo, friends, and blogs, then include one specialty site like ActiveRain.com if you are in Real Estate, or TwitterMoms.com if you are focusing on mothers, etc.

I know this looks daunting, but some of these networks take more time then others, like for photos,videos, or songs, just post your favorites, then move on, Twitter and Facebook however are definitely time suckers, so you have to regulate your time spent on each site.

With each of these sights the goal is to make friends, meet more people and link, link, link to your blog and main website.

Are you not entertained? (I always wanted say that)
Ok so get ready..get set...GO OUT AND GET STARTED.

P.S. Often when businesses are started, or are just barely surviving, we make choices that are not always effective. Sign up for this free news letter to free yourself from the guessing game of social media, SEO, marketing and keeping your focus. Click here for your free Newsletter http://www.businesswomennetwork.com/ .

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this post. I know that it is important to know the best or what is the top ranking social network sites.Having knowledge with these makes it easier for people on how and what social network sites to choose. Looking for other great posts from you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for adding the list I know alexa does a pretty good job but it's neat to see who's on top Thanks Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing this.. I will post it on my site now for all our Mumpreneurs to view !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm coming over from Mormon Mommy Blogs, asking for your help. I am in the running for a round trip airfare paid ticket to Connecticut, to meet a friend I became acquainted with through blogging. She is a super fun person and is holding this contest. I entered a funny story titled "Grapejuice Floaties, Now Marry Me." The person whose story receives the most votes will win a trip to meet this generous lady, whom I'm hoping to meet. The voting ends tonight-midnight. I used to be ahead but there is a story coming up from behind out of nowhere, and it's a tight race now. I would so much appreciate your help. Her blog is www.becausemomsaidso.blogspot.com and the voting is on the sidebar on the right. "Grapejuice, Floaties" Just go there and cast a vote for me, please. Thanks so much-you're awesome! ♥♥
    YOUR VOTE REALLY WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

    ReplyDelete