Business Women Network

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Multi-tasking

So here we go again, 4:30 am let dogs out, 4:35 let dogs back in, go back to sleep, 6:30 get up, shower, breakfast for 3 kids, feed 3 dogs, get kids ready for school, makeup, carpool, morning hot chocolate, work 8:30 am.
Recently, my husband had to take a job out of town, he is gone 4 days out of the week, this makes things tough. Don't get me wrong. I know there are a lot of single moms out there and all I have to say is.....great job! But, for me, my 3 kids, 3 dogs, my 3 businesses, (apparently I like 3's), and my community involvement, my lack of husband is taking a toll.
Anyway, this brings me to my topic on multi-tasking. I really am a "fly by the seat of your pants" girl, but lately my seat has been getting smaller and smaller ( only in a metaphorical sense, sadly).
So, I am needing to schedule, actually writing things down in my calendar at the beginning of the week and not forgetting it by Tuesday. Of course we schedule, the obvious, School, Work, Doctor, but do we schedule the Gym, American Idol, Meal planning, Bunco, Bills, Schedule time for scheduling?
Of course, women are better at multitasking than men, but at some point the straw breaks the camels back. (wow, metaphors are hot today)
Do yourself a favor take the time, promise yourself you'll stick by it for two weeks, see how it works, there is really more wasted time in a day than you may suspect. I know it doesn't seem like it.
The best blessing you could give yourself, your spouse, your children, is your clear and focused mind. So, don't lose it by cutting yourself and time short. Start your calendar today.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree! As anal as it can seem to write all this stuff down and schedule it in, I get so much more done by sticking to a schedule and I don't wake up in those 'Oh no I forgot....' panics anymore! lol

    Jennica
    Peekaboo Kids Gear

    ReplyDelete